2005 Meeting at Cancun :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
The 49th Annual Meeting. July 1-5, 2005, at the Westin Cancun, Mexico 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
2005/07/02 4:30pm SIG on SABI - "Systemic Leadership"
Posted by: daviding (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2005 02:39PM

As described at [systemicbusiness.org] , the second of two sessions will discuss three papers:

- Rajat Dhawan, "Systems Dynamics and its Impact on Managerial Decision Making"

- Kuang-cheng Wang, "Business Life Cycles and Five Elements Theory"

- Lynn Rasmussen, "The Potential of Coaching as a Profession Dedicated to the Development of Systems Thinking and Evolutionary Learning"

Preconference discussion on these papers can be posted as replies to this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2005 10:12PM by daviding.

Dhawan, "Systems Dynamics and ... Managerial Decision Making"
Date: June 23, 2005 10:19PM

Rajat,

It seems to me that you've got a major challenge on making your study "scientific" by traditional experimental methods. Are you considering alternative approaches like action research?

Wang, "Business Life Cycles and Five Elements Theory"
Date: June 23, 2005 10:31PM

K.C.,

I'm not very familiar with the literature on Business Life Cycles, but do know about product life cycles, and the idea of creative destruction (Schumpeter).

Does it make sense for a business to try to maintain a portfolio of counter-cyclical products (e.g. as one declines, there's another one rising)? Or is the idea much more organizational, that some teams should be mature while others were on the rise?

The organizational side also raises some issues about whether the same individuals are well suited to follow through all stages of the cycle. I know some entrepreneurs who say that they're great at starting companies, but not so good in running them.

Rasmussen, "... Coaching ... Systems Thinking and Evolutionary Learning"
Date: June 23, 2005 10:38PM

Lynn,

I usually think of coaching as a one-on-one activity. Is there a cross between thinking of the individual with thinking of a social group, in what you're describing?

Classroom-based study {Rajat Dhawan}
Date: June 24, 2005 09:37AM

Hi David
I wasn't able to post the message on the list. Could you please do this?

I propose to conduct as a classroom-based study on postgraduate students. Students would asked to take decisions based on a case study only and then based on the skills gained through a system dynamics course. Appropriate comparisons would be made. Though the challege is to form the kind of questions that would enable us to measure the mental models of subjects. The experiment is in various stages and I shall discuss it in detail when we meet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.