2005 Meeting at Cancun :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
The 49th Annual Meeting. July 1-5, 2005, at the Westin Cancun, Mexico 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
2005/04/06 Travel Advisory to Cancun (expires May 31)
Posted by: daviding (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2005 02:09PM

Some ISSS members have pointed out a travel advisory by the U.S. Department of State at [travel.state.gov] , which advises (up to May 31) on the ...
... deterioration in recent weeks of local law enforcement in Cancun caused by a persistent shortage of municipal funds to pay for police and public services.
To be clearer about this, the advice to some corporations (e.g. IBM) by iJet Worldcue Traveler speaks directly of a strike situation:
An indefinite strike of hundreds of police officers and firefighters in Cancun, Mexico has led to an increase in petty crimes and poor emergency response times.
This Worldcue advisory is in effect through April 30. When the strike is resolved, conditions will presumably return to normal.
The Westin Cancun, which is the site for the ISSS conference, is located on Quintana Roo -- a peninsula away from the city center. The ISSS organizing committee expects few issues for conference attendees staying in this tourist zone. Individuals planning to attend the conference should be assured by a message from Agustin Delgado, a member of the local organizing committee.
Dear Friends,
I just came from Cancun last week and I live in the downtown, which is the trouble area, and it is very safe. The hotel zone may be the safest place in the world. Downtown Cancun is the problem, and I was walking there every day. The Westin is 20 miles from downtown Cancun, and there is private transportation between the Westin and airport.
Best Regards,
Agustin
To pre-empt any issues with each person individually having to negotiate with a taxi, the ISSS organizing committee will be looking into transfers from the Cancun airport to the Westin Cancun Hotel. Attendees may check back to this forum, on [forums.isss.org], for updates.

[This note by posted by David Ing, as acting webmaster for the ISSS]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.