Systemics :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
"General discussion" on topics on the systems sciences 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Fossil find confirms Kauffman and Progogine self organization.
Posted by: Christopher (---.rb3.clm.centurytel.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 07:49AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fossil find confirms Kauffman and Progogine self organization.

I believe I have discovered a self organizing principle in the form of a fossil artifact. After I had extrapolated the dynamic occurring in and around this unique artifact, I then found this represented a missing piece of information needed to explain the sudden appearance of complex morphology during the Cambrian explosion.
This artifact was showing a process that seemed to act as a “tie switch” for the sum total of living elements and dynamics of the environment.
This electrical engineering term “tie switch” was the only word at had at time.
This type science was fairly new to me, and at the time had no language to describe it, although This connector of things seemed strangely familiar and somehow fit as part of nature.
As my research progressed I found that this was something that was indeed predicted by many scientist. One being Sturat Kauffmans Auto catalytic sets , The origin Ilva Prigogine
Auto-poesies and dissipative structures.
Along with Rene Thom’s Catastrophe theory just to name a few, and I also found the proper name for this dynamic as an “ attractor ” This not only tied these soon to be great scientist work together but enabled me to see further into these self-organizing principles than the present text was offering.

I believe my work on these two models, one dealing with the initial self-organization principles of the “ Vesica Attractor ” and then the subsequent evolutionary model of “Archetypal Descent,” has the potential to tie together many separate models and concepts into a functional cohesive whole.

After all, this is precisely the function of this type of information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/QUOTE]------------------------------- [home.earthlink.net]

A stream

"Imagine a mountain stream. It is a dynamic system because it only exists while energy flows through it, in this case the water’s kinetic energy. Sometimes the stream forms a whirlpool and sometimes it takes the serpentine form (the latter is seen most clearly in an aerial photograph of a river delta). Each of these forms represents a pre-existing mathematical principle or possibility, characteristic of rivers and streams everywhere. A whirlpool is not caused by the bed of the stream because it may also form in the ocean or in the atmosphere. Even the stars of a galaxy sometimes form a whirlpool (Hildebrandt & Tromba 1996, pp. 12-13, 246). A stream organizes itself but the ways it can do so are constrained: only certain pre-determined forms are possible.
The whirlpool is robust or homoeostatic. It is called a stable attractor (Kauffman 1995, p. 187) because it is a stable form into which a dynamic system is attracted. Imagine a whirlpool around the drain in your tub. Interrupt the whirlpool by putting your hand in it and the water continues to drain, but not as a whirlpool. Remove your hand and the whirlpool reforms. Besides the whirlpool and the serpentine form, there are many other forms that a stream could assume but most of them are unstable. Whatever form the stream is placed into, it slides spontaneously into one of its few stable attractors and remains there."
Maxson J. McDowell

[img]
[focus.hms.harvard.edu]

April 8 2005

Precursor Cells Follow Different Paths to Same
Cell Fate

Complex Behavior
"With so many genes turning on and off inside the developing cell, the potential for instability is great. In the 1960s, the theoretical biologist Stuart Kaufmann proposed that if a cell were to hit upon an arrangement in which every element affected what the others were doing, much in the manner of a feedback system, that cell would better resist perturbation. In fact, evolution appears to have selected for just such a system—genes and proteins often inhibit or activate one another. The collective behavior of this network creates a system that is so stable and self-correcting that it exerts an almost gravitational pull—the developing cell is compelled toward its fate, for instance, to become a liver cell. Kaufmann called these stable networks “attractors,” a term he borrowed from physics. But evidence for the existence of attractors was lacking .

In one respect, it is easy to see why. In Kaufmann’s view, a cell hits upon a stable genetic configuration and develops into a particular cell type. But demonstrating that the entire network functions as an attractor, pulling the cell down a particular developmental path, is problematic. One could argue, as molecular biologists have, that the network is simply the consequence of individual signaling pathways instructing the cell to develop in a particular direction. There is another approach. According to Kaufmann, attractors are very robust—they cast a wide net. Two developing cells might initially exhibit wildly differing constellations of gene activity and yet they could eventually be caught up by the same stable configuration, or attractor, and become the same kind of cell. That is what Huang and his colleagues have shown."

“Our view is that a cell’s differentiation state is there as a pre-existing program, an attractor, and all you need is to tip over into it,” said Sui Huang. “You do not need very specific instructional inputs.” —Misia Landau

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2005 07:49AM by Christopher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.