Systemics :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
"General discussion" on topics on the systems sciences 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Archetypal desent ; Origin of the phyla
Posted by: Christopher (---.rb.clm.centurytel.net)
Date: April 30, 2005 04:44PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a scientific explanation, it would need a lot of supporting evidence as well as molecular mechanisms. As a metaphysical theory, it’s difficult to falsify. (I can add that these critiques are applicable to many evolutionary theories I read in the scientific literature.) --------------------
-Albert de Roos-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This began as an attempt to understand the artifact on a geological level, but….. I was led into the realm of system biology and self organizing dissipative structures. Imagine my surprise!

If I am any gauge at all…. This model, given a little time, and attention should connect many lose ends in our understanding of biological systems.

This, as you say,is only a metaphysical model based on a single artifact but…..if correct, represents a connective potential, in the form of a watershed, and should open a wide array of physical experimental applications, as well as Real-world deductive modeling. I am only a lowly engineer, not a scientist but…. it does seem to work on many levels, and produces information for free.

Christopher Humphrey

The Second Ring of Life; The Vesica Attractor
by Christopher Humphrey

Abstract

The fossil record shows a disparity in the formation of complex body plans.
The individual eukaryote cannot build these original structures. They do not carry within themselves a prior blue print for an overall body plan.
Science today is attempting to answer these questions, [ via, systems science] though genomic constraints. My discovery shows the missing information in the original body design was provided by a wave function, acting on a mass of oolitic spheres bound by a microbial substrate.{ a dissipative structure}
This substrate crystallized into an archetypal pattern. The first complex animal life. [source of a body plan pattern] that then spawn an entire phyla.
This central archetype then becomes a sustained, central information bank for the phyla.
Releasing new genetic information in pulses over time.
This model not only accounts for the original forms, but also genetic control patterns of punctuated equilibrium. This is what this fossil is showing, in the context of the fossil record.

Origin the phyla ;The next three sections will address gaps in our understanding of morphological origins and genetic controls of the phyla.

1[A Blindfolded Watchmaker] Gaps in our understanding in morphological controls.

2[ The Landscape of Possibility: ] A systems view of self-organization from pre-existing possibilities.

3.[ Archetypal life forms] Will attempt to answer these questions of a morphological source, {hierarchical disparity},and central genetic controls.

Chapter13
A Blindfolded Watchmaker:
The Arrival of the Fittest
David L. Wilcox
[www.leaderu.com]

quote:

1. Life's origin. The origin of life requires the initial encoding of specified blueprints, a non-Darwinian process. Specification involves arbitrary definitions for the "letters" used to write the "messages." How then did specified complexity (blueprints and their described products/"machines") arise from any amount of nonspecified complexity (complex machines, but no blueprints)? Are we really making progress in explaining the source of the genetic code? "The holy grail is to combine information content with replication" (Orgel in Amato, 1992). That is, we need a machine that can write down its own specifications (Thaxton, 1984).

2. Origin of the first animals (Cambrian era). The Cambrian explosion illustrates the abrupt formulation of body-plan constraints (Erwin, et al. 1987). But how within 25 million years (impalas have remained unchanged longer than that) could the full complexity of 70plus metazoan phylum level body-plans arise, and be individuated with error-checking developmental cybernetic controls from protozoans? Remember that protozoans do not have encoded genetic information for morphology due to cellular interaction. How can code that does not yet exist be mutated? Further, given the appearance of new code, how are phylum level morphological "norms" generated, capable of holding for the remainder of the Phanerozoic? As David Jablonski put it, "The most dramatic kinds of evolutionary novelty, major innovations, are among the least understood components of the evolutionary process" (Lewin, 1988).

3. Species stasis. Species show morphological stasis in the face of high levels of selectable diversity (Stanley, 1979 & 1985). But what sort of genetic anchor can hold constant a species' morphological mean and variance for several million years (Michaux, 1989), when enough genetic diversity exists in such species to allow laboratory selection to cause a ten-fold movement of that morphological mean? Are current models of the informational organization of the genome adequate to explain this? This difficulty is reinforced by the still greater morphological stasis shown by the body-plans of the higher levels of the taxonomic system, a stasis that seems to shape, direct, and constrain lower level change in an almost " archetypic " manner. This is hardly the neo-Darwinian prediction.

[QUOTE] The Landscape of Possibility: A Dynamic Systems Perspective on Archetype and Change

[cogprints.org]

Maxson J. McDowell

Imagine a sand-dune rippled by the wind. The dune is an emergent, self-organized structure. Its surface organizes itself according to information contained within the wind, its velocity, for instance, and its direction. That information is translated into a particular set of ripples by the constraints of the dune's height and shape (equivalent to the gross anatomy of the brain) and by the constraints of an individual grain of sand (equivalent to the anatomy and physiology of a neuron). Once the ripples have been established they influence the subsequent movement of air over the surface of the dune. In the same way, once the fine structure of the brain has been established it controls the subsequent flow of sensory information.

Genes and Self-Organization

A more general argument concerns the machinery of inheritance. I have only about 100,000 different genes while a bacterium has 3 to 5,000 genes (Alberts et. al., 1994, pp. 339-340). But my anatomy is astronomically more complex than that of a bacterium. It has been estimated that the human body contains about 5x1025 bits of information in the arrangement of its molecules while the human genome contains less than 109 bits of information. Again the disparity is of astronomical proportions. These numbers prove that my genes must be used economically. They must code for processes which enable my structure to evolve, but they are too few to form a "blueprint", or image, of my final structure (Calow 1976, pp. 101-103; Elman et. al., 1998, p. 319). My body's structure, therefore, must be emergent. An emergent structure is layered in distinct, successive levels of complexity; each level self-organizes with minimal guidance from the genes. Self-organization is directed by the inherent properties of the component parts (what fits with what). It is also directed by the inherent tendency of a dynamic system to assume an ordered form. I will say more about this later. Finally self-organization is directed by information from the environment (Elman et. al., 1998, pp. 319-323).

Dynamic Systems
A triangle is static, but a dynamic system also has such pre-existing possibilities. Think of a mountain stream. It is a dynamic system because it only exists while energy flows through it, in this case the water's kinetic energy. Sometimes the stream forms a whirlpool. Sometimes it assumes the serpentine form. The latter is seen most clearly in an aerial photograph of a river delta. Both forms are pre-existing possibilities, characteristic of rivers and streams everywhere. Even the stream of stars in a galaxy sometimes forms a whirlpool (Hildebrandt and Tromba 1996, pp. 12-13). A stream organizes itself, but the ways it can do so are constrained: only certain pre-determined forms are possible.

Like a mountain stream, a living creature is also a dynamic system. It too exists only while energy flows through it, either from food if it is an animal, or from the sun if it is a plant. Like the evolution of a mountain stream, evolution in biology is self-organized: it is directed by no outside agent and it leads to emergent levels of order (Holland 1998, pp 225-231). Like a mountain stream, a living creature evolves forms which are pre-existing possibilities.The snake is an example. Not all snakes are related: at different times, several different groups of reptiles evolved the snake body-form (Zug 1993, p. 119) as an adaptation for moving through narrow spaces. A snake-like body-form also occurs in fish (the eel) and in mammals (the ferret). Amongst invertebrates roundworms, earthworms, and centipedes have a similar body-form. The first worm-like fossils, of animals about a meter long, appear in the Precambrian era, about 700 million years ago (Kauffman 1995, pp. 158-161). Thus the body-form of the snake is a pre-existing possibility which waits to be discovered by evolution.

"I said earlier that my body's structure is layered in a hierarchy of successive levels of complexity. Within each layer, complex order self-organizes from simpler components. In a rigorous analysis Holland (1998, pp. 225-231) has shown that each layer is itself a higher-order dynamic system. Thus molecules form a cell and cells form an organ. Immune cells, for example, form a functioning immune system and nerve cells form a functioning brain. Organs, in turn, form an organism. We have already seen that organisms, in their turn, form an ecosystem. These layered higher-order dynamic systems are the basis for emergence in life. Because the personality is an emergent living structure, it is very likely that it too represents a layer within this hierarchy, that is, it too belongs to a higher-order dynamic system."|Quote

This new model follow these systems just described,

and can be observed though the lens of the, [vesica attractor]

Archetypal life forms
Curiously the fossil record shows a top down hierarchical pattern of appearance in which major structural themes of body plans or [bauplans] emerge before minor variations on those themes.
The vesica attractor enables an archetype to form around a preexisting possibility for order. Form will follow both Internal structures and environmental dynamics. These two basins of order represent the factors involved in determining the bauplan that emerges from the vesica attractor.
[ Example] archetypal forms developing in the high energy tidal zone, will manifest mobile, dynamic, heart based bauplans.
Whereas an archetype forming in the stable depths, will manifest a static configuration around a basin of internal structure.
The original archetypes would not have had time to be based on genetic adaptation but rather on geometrical patterns inherent in preexisting possibilities.
From these basic configurations, genetics could then use time, to develop variations on these “Eternal true forms” That emerged quickly and directly from the vesica attractor.
This scenario fits the fossil record as well as current genome research that suggests the phyla arose separately, simultaneously and abruptly, from a ''common primordial pond" of genetics, and this artifact shows clearly and precisely how.
The embryonic structure appears to have ruptured a developing chamber. This chamber could no longer contain pressure so the system collapsed. Fortunately for science this was well timed to preserve a window into a miracle of transformation, any further along the oolites would have completed the transformation into shell, any sooner the structure would not have developed into the complex geometrical form.
This form contains an extraordinary set of patterns when interpreted exposes a link between two worlds, Allowing a special insight into both.

Punctuated Equilibrium
Archetypal life forms were born on the cusp of two worlds. [Macrocosm\Microcosm] I believe the purpose of this is to establish an informational feed back loop anchored at a central Source. From this evolutionary still point genetic novelty can be collected and recombined so new species can be created.
This renewing cycle of information from a separate bank of selective genetics could also keep the system far from equilibrium.
This feedback loop cycles between two states, one of stability, and one of renewal.
The Archetypal life forms would inherit an carbon\silicon based information gathering and storage system,[see extracellular matrix]{oolitic core} thus acting as the central, sustainable, creative, pool for the phyla.
This is the best of both worlds, unlimited life span in their own self-replicating systems, and access to creative adaptive change from its progeny.
If this model proves to be correct, it begs an obvious and fascinating question. Where are these original archetypes now?

[www.iscid.org]
Vesica Attractor; Gastropoda

[www.imagestation.com]

This photo and photo-shop rendering is all I have at the moment. What I really need is a photo shop animation of the dynamic.

The fossil has a opening all the way though the center just as the photo-shop rendering.

This representation is what I think this embryo would have looked like when it was alive. The right intake aperture became dominant over the left, resulting in an asymmetrical growth of extruding mineralization around the left aperture.

This particular vesica attractor would have resulted in a conch, or gastropod design.
The dominant right intake would develop a gill while the left developed a spiraling shell and central axis of the [columella.]

This would keep spiraling until the shell enclosed the left aperture complexly. This left spiraling point then became what most would assume as the front. Myself included.

If both chambers keep a symmetrical flow, which would have been very rare, the result would be a symmetrical body plan and two gills.

If the attractor retained the shell and a symmetrical flow though the apertures, the result would be a cephalopod. This shell is not a genetic adaptation but more precisely the a receipt from paying {Schrödinger entropy debt}
{The oolitic mass would shrink [dissipate] during this pulse into a higher ordered state.}

A fish’s body plan is the most perfect of all the possible out comes, and looks as though it only occurred once. All the myriad shell designs now appear to me as beautiful attempts at a fish’s body plan. Even natures screw up’s are geometrical marvels.

The fossil came from a creek bed cutting down though early Cambrian strata This strata is made up of dolomite limestone. The strata this originated from developed layers of a microbial mats in fine silty mud, that is devoid of any particles that would induce the growth of stromatalites, so instead you just find layers of cyanobacteia. When fine quartz particles our introduced, oolites are formed.

--------------------
"Such an object is stable, and so can be recognized, only when the corresponding attractor is structurally stable." ..... Rene Thom,

[www.imagestation.com]

[www.arn.org]

[www.iscid.org]

Re: Archetypal desent ; Origin of the phyla
Posted by: Christopher (---.rt-bras.clm.centurytel.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 10:23AM

quote:
What could have precipitated the Cambrian explosion? Were climate, atmosphere, environment or some external factors important, or did a threshold of biological genetic complexity occur (e.g. Kauffman, 1995; c.f. Dawkins, 1989)?

Yes!

-------------------------------------------------

[64.233.187.104]

The Emergence of a Science of Emergence

Prigogine's non-equilibrium Thermodynamics, Haken's synergetics, Von Bertalanffi's general systems theory and Kauffman's complex adaptive systems all point to the same scenario : the origin of life from inorganic matter is due to emergent processes of self-organization. The same processes account for phenomena at different levels in the organization of the universe, and, in particular, for cognition. Cognition appears to be a general property of systems, not an exclusive of the human mind.

A science of emergence, as an alternative to traditional, reductionism, science, could possibly explain all systems (living and not).

-------------------------------------------------

Archetypal Desent

The universe designs networks of finer and finer connections. Biological \cognitive systems are the finest of these networks, embedded inside a whole hierarchy, like layers of an onion. The First layer we theorize was the big bang. This initial pulses of sends out waves of energy and atoms that curl into points of swirling matter. At the center of this points vortices form. From these black holes implode sending out a second pulse a gravity waves.
These waves curl into points forming stars bound into the matrix of the galaxy. This structure contains a balance of forces enabling all points to interact though gravity. Some stars explode then create complex elements in a third pulse of energy. This assemblage of elements curl into a yet more complex internal matrix of solar systems.

Now the stage is set for pre-existing possibilities to form networks of life. Life and Intelligents will manifest though the natural flow patterns inherent between waves and elements. The elements will firstly juxtapose themselves one to another forming simple chemical matrixes, organic molecules.

The very early earth probably was completely covered by water, the first cells appeared almost immediately, I tend to see this layer of water and simple cells as more of an differentiated catalytic layer, somewhat like the ozone layer although much more complex. More closely related to the planet system rather than to a biological system. We always tend to think of these first cells in terms of what they are going to become rather than what they represented at the time, just another layer of organization between many others.

System emerge from within systems.

Once these systems become self-replicating they can continue drawing additional information from these outer matrices.
This is why living systems behave in this way, this instability enables the system to collect information in mathematical process {Algorithmic iteration} therefore the system builds more and more internal complexity , patterned after its surrounding matrices, or Environment.

Cambrian Explosion

I see this event as a collapse of information into a point, as the system at large reaches a threshold of complexity.
These points, [complex animal life]are then kept stable by its surrounding parent matrix.

Conciseness is merely another information gathering system that has been compressed from the biological system that surrounds it.

Communication technology is yet another compression point by our cognitive systems.
System emerge from within systems, and they all compress information from waves.

That’s what life is doing capturing information at large. Waves in the form of light and sound and compressing it into the quantum level.

What This new model {“Archetypal descent” }is showing, is major creative changes can only happen by a consideration of the whole system, What I am proposing is that there exist in the system a yet undiscribed original central life form {an archetype} that can acquire information and then release it in pulses like a wave pattern.[punctuated equilibrium]
This fossil is showing that just prior to the Cambrian explosion complex life forms emerged, or more precisely where catalyzed directly from the environment at large.
These components of wave dynamics ,cellular metabolic systems, tensional geometry, combined with a silicon-carbon based matrix.
Keep in mind the fossilized embryonic form emerged directly from the environment. This enabled it to form a “super-structure” made up of elements that make it extremely stable. This has never been postulated before, however it does follow an informational pattern.

As a sculptor I can tell you this the only way to create morphology, is by considering the compositional whole as it relates to the individual components.

I am also aware of all the factors that go into accumulating information from Natural selection\ random mutation. These are the probability patterns. These probabilities need to be placed in a framework where they can be coordinated into composition to bring about change. And at the same time keep systems stabilized.

These systems models must adhere to an even more rigorous standard of informational context than the present reductionism models, by fitting into an even larger framework that takes into consideration all the non-living stages of organization that occurred proceeding the emergence life, and It is does!
One Example;
When a galaxy forms, the first event is the formation of a black hole, as a result of this implosion of information, a signal is released in the form of a gravity wave. This wave pattern creates stars, these stars form around the central ‘archetype’ the black hole, in an evolving disk of dynamical information.

While at the same time the central black hole remains stable, connecting all points of information to one central point.
Now if you examine this disc you see that vortices form around second generation black holes, stabilizing a domain within a domain. And further still the more temporal aspect of solar systems embedded in the more eternal domain of the central black hole. This duality of the central archetype anchoring an internal evolving system, is how the universe is constructed,
in a non-living evolving system or living system.
[www.arn.org]

[ 05-31-2005, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Metatron ]

--------------------
"Such an object is stable, and so can be recognized, only when the corresponding attractor is structurally stable." ..... Rene Thom,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.