2004 Meeting at Asilomar :  Phorum 5 The fastest message board... ever.
The 48th Annual Meeting, July 4-9, 2004, at Asilomar, Pacific Grove, CA 
Carral & Kajanto "Industry Demand Analysis"
Posted by: daviding (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: June 19, 2004 07:22AM

In reading this paper, I have to say that it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. After I reread the full title, my interpretation is that the paper isn't about an organization as a system, but instead an industry demand analysis as a system.

I have a quibble about the use of "analysis" in understanding a system, because it drives me to ask about where "synthesis" happens. This may be merely a choice of language for the business audience, or it may be conscious. We should probably clarify this.

Churchman's "The Systems Approach" is cited in the paper, but I wonder if Churchman's "Design of Inquiring Systems" would be a better foundation. (For a more accessible read, Mitroff & Linstone, "The Unbounded Mind" updates the presentation). It's a bit hard for me to judge, but it seems that this approach to understand industry demand relies a lot of inductive-consensual and analytic-deductive inquiring systems. A Singerian inquiring system (or the fifth way of know, as described by Mitroff & Linstone) would seek methods of conflict that would "sweep in" new knowledge.

This approach has been described by Vince Barabba in "Hearing the Voice of the Customer" and "Meeting of the Minds", as applied at General Motors.

Raul/Markus: Are you familiar with the inquiring systems literature, and would this be applicable to your work, or am I missing something?

Subject Written By Posted
  SABI 2004: Business Systems -- Inside, Outside and Between daviding 06/13/2004 03:49PM
  Why Inside, Outside and Between? daviding 06/19/2004 06:53AM
  Parhankangas et al. "Negotiated Order in the Network Form Business" daviding 06/19/2004 07:06AM
  Carral & Kajanto "Industry Demand Analysis" daviding 06/19/2004 07:22AM
  Swanson: "Inter-Org Mediating Spaces, LST and Accountability" daviding 06/19/2004 07:42AM
  Wang "Strategic Triangle Model in Alliance Strategies" daviding 06/19/2004 07:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.